We’re getting pumped for fall! Are you? Check out our top five unique pumpkin DIY decorating ideas!
Fall is here. Halloween is just around the corner. And the orange, yellow, green and white hues of pumpkins glows from every corner. Although decorating with pumpkins stems from a seasoned ritual, Garden Supply Company has a few ideas that put a spin on the fall decorating tradition. Let’s get creative!
Our Top Five Unique Pumpkin Decorating Ideas:
1. Pumpkin Container Garden – Ceramic pots come in all shapes, sizes and colors these days. But if you’re really in the fall fest spirit, why not make your own pot? No need for clay and kiln here! We’re talking about using your pumpkin as a pot. For this pumpkin project, all you’ll need is a kitchen knife and serving spoon. Cut the top off of the pumpkin just like you would if you were carving a jack-o-lantern, scoop the seeds out from the inside, add potting soil and your choice of fall plants.
2. Seasonal Succulent Garden – No need for a knife here! Creating a succulent container garden actually requires gluing, not cutting. For this project you’ll need spray adhesive, a hot glue gun, moss and succulent cuttings. Rather than cutting the top from the pumpkin, simply spray the bottom of your moss and adhere to the area near the stem in small sections. Once the top is covered, gather your succulent cuttings and begin to hot glue them to the moss beginning with the center first.
What we love about this pumpkin piece is that the succulents will begin to grow into the moss if they are cared for properly. Just mist once a week with a small spray bottle. Once your pumpkin begins to age, simply cut the top off and plant the succulents elsewhere!
3. Glitzy Table Arrangements – There are many ways to make your miniature to medium-sized pumpkins and gourds fit for a feast. The easiest way to do this is to douse them in gold! Simply purchase a can of gold (white and silver work too!) spray paint and paint an assortment of our traditionally orange pumpkins. Wait for them to dry and then spread them across your dinner table runner or pile them in a large white or wooden serving dish for display. These center-pieces are sure to dazzle your guests!
4. Festive Table Toppers – Tiny pumpkins and gourds are oh, so cute! Why not buy a few or enough to adorn your dinner table or another place in the house that could use a little light? Take the tops off of each pumpkin and carve them so that there’s room for a votive candle in each one. Just before your guests arrive or the kids sit down for dinner, light the votives for your special occasion.
5. Halloween-Themed Terrarium – With the cooler air coming our way, terrariums are a beautiful way to bring the outdoors in. Dress up your terrarium with miniature pumpkins and gourds or small spooky gravestones and skulls from our gift shop.
Interested in creating your own? Learn more about how to build and spruce your terrarium up for halloween on Sunday, October 25, from 3:00-4:30pm. All building materials such as gravel, activated charcoal, moss and dirt will be supplied. Find out more here. Cost: $25 *Does not include plants and spooky accessories.