Fourteen years ago I joined the “Race for the Cure” and began to work with our local affiliate of the Susan G. Komen Foundation spear-headed by the generous Jeanne Peck, Katie Shaw, Carol Griffin, and countless other volunteers when my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer.
Frustrated I couldn’t battle this disease for her, I went to battle by fundraising with my husband’s idea of the “Gardens for the Cure” It was a one day glimpse into some of the areas most beautiful gardens to raise awareness and money. During those years we raised over a million dollars and shared many happy days with her.
Today my mom is not with me, but her spirit lives on in our team. She not only fought for her own life, but also for her children, grandchildren, friends, and husbands, the 1 in 8 of us, so we would not hear the words “you have breast cancer”.
The Susan G. Komen Foundation funds cutting edge research and puts the money where it was needed in our local communities. The principle of giving 25% of the money raised towards research grants nationally, and the other 75% staying locally to fund grants like mobile mammography for underserved women in our community is the reason I still support them. Forget the politics and donate today…together we can bring a cure and make a world without breast cancer.
To donate and register for our Gardeners for the Cure team, please visit our team page:
When you join our team with a $50 donation, you will receive a 12% discount off all your purchases the rest of the year as well as our Team t-shirt. For a $100 donation, we’ll throw in a coupon good for 35% off any one item from the garden center.
In addition, we have some prizes up for grabs, including two airline tickets anywhere in the contiguous U.S. for whoever raises the most dollars. Ask 10 friends for $10 and help us eradicate Breast Cancer in our lifetime!
The Triangle Race for the Cure® will be held Saturday, June 14, 2014 at Meredith College in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Race Day Schedule:
5:30 a.m. – Shuttle buses begin at the PNC Arena (formerly named the RBC Center). All parking is at the PNC Arena.
6:00 a.m. – Registration/Packet Pickup Opens
6:45 a.m. – Survivor Breakfast Begins
7:00 a.m. – Competitive Open 5K (co-ed)
7:00 a.m. – Survivor Photo
7:15 a.m. – Zumba Warm-up
7:45 a.m. – Women’s Only – Jeanne’s Race 5K Run/Walk
8:30 a.m. – Recreational Open 5K Run/Walk (co-ed)
9:30 a.m. – One-Mile Fun Run/Walk (co-ed)
10:00 a.m. – Kids Dash (ages 3-5)
10:30 a.m. – Survivor Tribute
We’ll be there, walking again this year with our team, and we’d love to have you join us.If you would like to join us, you’ll have to pick up your registration packet and race bib at one of these locations.
- June 9th – 6-8:30 p.m. – Streets of Southpoint Mall – Center court near Nordstrom
- June 10th – 6-8:30 p.m. – Crabtree Valley Mall – Lower level outside Belk
- June 11th – 6-8:30 p.m. – Cary Town Center – Outside Belk
- June 12th – 6-8:30 p.m. – Triangle Town Center – Lower level center court
- June 13th – 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. – Meredith College – Near the chapel
- June 14th – 6 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. – Meredith College – Near the chapel
If you’d prefer to “sleep-in for the cure”, we have that option, too!
For more information on the event, please visit the Susan G. Komen Triangle website, and our Gardeners for the Cure team page. And thank you all for your support!